Students can master the detailed usage and the structure of the simple past tense.
Students will be able to use the simple past tense to talk about the things happened in the past freely.
Students can improve their confidence in learning English and not be afraid of speaking English.
Students can foster the awareness of taking part in volunteering jobs and devoting themselves.
Key and difficult points
To master the usage and the structure of the simple past tense.
To talk about the things happened in the past and foster their awareness of taking part in volunteering jobs.
Step 1: Warming-up
2. Sing a song named Heal the World and encourage students to sing it together. The song goes like this:
Heal the world, make it a better place.
For you and for me and the entire human race.
There are people dying, if you care enough for the living.
Make it a better place, for you and for me.
Ask students about the topic of the song. Then share with them an experience of volunteering. For example:
“Last weekend, I did a volunteering job in a community and measured the passengers’ temperatures for preventing COVID-19.”
3. Then have a free talk about what they did on weekends to gradually lead into the topic.
Step 2: Presentation
1. Read the dialogue for students and lead them to find out the main content of the conversation. Then ask students to read the conversation again to find out what these two kids did last weekend? And write down students’ answers on the blackboard.
2. Let students work in groups of 4 to have a discussion to find similarities among these sentences. And pick up some students to answer the question. Students can find all verbs are changing to their past forms and they are all about the things happened in the past.
3. Teacher can introduce students the grammar point: the simple past tense, and its basic structure and usage. For example: the structure of simple past tense is “Subject+ V-ed” and it is often used to describe things happened in the past. Explain the rules of regular forms and irregular forms of each verb.
Step 3: Practice
1. True or False
Show a set of exercises on the screen and make a judge whether the sentence is correct, if not make a modification. Then pick up a group of students to share the answers and give an evaluation in time.
2. Sentence master
Show students a picture on the screen, and tell them it happened yesterday, and ask them to use their imagination to make up a story. 5 minutes will be given, and students need to do it individually. When time is up, invite 2 students to share the story and give the proper feedback.
Step 4: Production
Ask students to make a group of 4 and 8 minutes will be given to do a survey about what they did last winter holiday, and design a chart by themselves. Later, choose some groups to share the answers. Give some proper evaluations.
Step 5: Summary and Homework
Summary: help the class to summarize the whole lesson. And tell them if possible, they can join in some volunteering jobs to make contributions.
Homework: ask students to design a poster to advocate people to join in the voluntary job and share their posters next class.
1. How do you think of the blackboard design?
The blackboard design can not only reflect the key and core point of a lesson, but also reflect a teacher’s teaching ability.
Take my blackboard design as an example: First, the title shows the main content of the lesson. Secondly, this class is a grammar class, so I presented three sentences with grammar points to guide students to find out the grammar point and summarize the rules. Thirdly, the grammar points are presented clearly, which is convenient for students to learn and master. Finally, on the whole, blackboard is simple, clear and easy to understand, which is believed to be helpful to students’ study.
In a word, blackboard design plays a very important role in making the instructional process effective.
2. What are the qualities should an excellent teacher have?
Thanks for your question. In my opinion, an excellent teacher should have the following qualities: solid knowledge, passion for education, and awareness of lifelong learning.
Then, I would like to talk about my views on having solid knowledge and lifelong learning consciousness. First of all, if you want to teach students knowledge, the teacher must have a certain knowledge reserve; Secondly, as the society is developing so fast, the knowledge is constantly being updated. Therefore, teachers should have the awareness of lifelong learning and update their knowledge and teaching concepts so as to be a good teacher.